
I've threatened my facebook friends with death by bow & arrow if those who watch the movie before I do tomorrow write a review in their status. So I thought I ought to follow suit & post on my Blog. I'm trying to go to the movie with low expectations because, of course, movies are never as good a books...and this book is Really Good!! I think the reason I love these series is, that the main character is a tough chick who is deadly with a bow & arrow, isn't looking for a cheesy romance (or any romance for that matter)...I like to think I can relate--my Dad got me a bow & arrow set for my 8th b-day & I wasn't half bad, I grew up hunting with my dad (I've gone archery hunting once, but been successful deer & elk hunting a few times--I have two nice buck racks)...I'm not from Appalachia, but my grampa is. I'm not trying to pose as Katniss Everdeen, but those are some reasons I like her.
This series is everything that Twilight is not--offense to those Twilight fans...oh wait, I mean No offense ;) ...But it's no secret that I really really dislike Twilight, I felt like the entire state of Utah was on crazy pills in the hayday of Twilight mania... My point is not to just bag on Twilight (to each their own, it's just Not for me!). No, my point is, finally a book series that I really love--Action & no cheese on the love story (the whole romance of the first book was a fake one--fake by Katniss, anyway; yes Peeta always loved her...but just for show--a tactic to stay alive.)
I've always read the classics--Jane Austen, the Anne of Green Gables series, and my all time favorite author is Mark Twain; his wit, humor & sarcasm, along with his ability to freeze in time a magical era & place where the naughty boys dreaming to be riverboat captains share their point of view (Samuel Clemn's point of view), well it can't be matached! -So I was happy to regain faith in the possibility of decent writing in the 21st century. -I was hesitant to read the series--because of all the hype, for one, and also because I'd heard they were really sad (yes, sad, but action packed, gripping, and there are some happy parts, too). I'm glad my SIL, Jamie talked me into reading the books & loaned them to me so I could.
I do have a couple criticisms (I'm overly critical about movies & books, I'll admit), but a couple things bugged me. I didn't think the author had to make it quite so sad--Prim dying was oh so disheartening, and was really mad she killed off Finnick O'dair--especially after all he'd been through & finally was reunited with Annie. And with the last few chapters being So sad I thought there could've been more than a couple paragraphs to get back to happiness. (I did always think she should end up with Peeta--he was better for her, Gale too much her match.) And speaking of Peeta, from the previews I'm already disappointed with the guy they cast as him--he's supposed to be, tall, broad-shouldered & strong--not medium built & whimpy looking...No, the odds are not in the favor of the movie being nearly as good as the book...but when you love a book, you have to check out the movie :)
*Sidenote, addt'l good books: I really liked The Help, and just finished Divergent--another dystopian themed book--a little too much cheese in the romance, but a good story-line & some decent action. The sequel comes out in May.

No comments:
Post a Comment