Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Our new pet

A Quail showed up at our house a couple days ago--it looked hungry out in the fresh fallen snow--when I went outside instead of running away it took a few steps towards me...so I brought out some old hamburger buns & the quail let us feed it just like you would a duck at the park.
It came back yesterday & I fed it again, and it seemed even less timid... Maybe it will stick around for the winter. It's fun to have around & is such a pretty bird. . .There's only one problem--Yep, it poops all over our sidewalk & porch :p --I threw the bread in the dirt hoping it would go in there...No, it ate the bread then sat on our porch to go potty! (Guess you can't train a quail to use a litter box!)
..We have quails here in Fruit Heights, but they've always been afraid of people & run away if you get too close--so this is unusual. (My mom has a big birdfeeder in her yard & when it snows they come eat at it like crazy...maybe birds are less afraid of people if winter meals are provided.)



(I've pixeled out the doo-dee here; haha)





2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is so fun. I'm sure the kids just love it. I know mine would. Although I'm sure Matai would scare it away!!

The Boulter Family said...

Katie you are hilarious how you photo shopped the pooh! So you have a pet quail that is so cool. I guess you will have to get your neighbors to feed her when you are in Blanding. You know once the word gets out amongst all her quail friends that there is food at the Morris home you are going to soon have a flock of quails. Lol, oh the pooh!
I would love love love to go to Blanding this spring that would be incredibly fun!!!!! So let’s plan for it. Unfortunately my Mom will not be able to come. She is starting work this week and was informed that she will not get any paid vacations for a year. Stupid work! I don’t know though perhaps things might change come spring. Even if it was just me, Charlie, Steven and maybe Robert it would be tons of fun! I would love to go explore the canyons and Indian ruins! Or go see the Aspen tree you carved Jessica’s name on. You are so thoughtful to offer such a fun adventure! I think in exchange I will have to take you to Baker with me! It is nice the price of fuel is subsiding it makes it easier to go on road trips.
When do you leave for Blanding? How many days do you get to spend with all your family? It is going to be so fun for you all. I am sure your kids are so excited to be with their cousins. Cousins are very important in ones’ life! Sledding I do hope you all get the chance to go! Does your dad have a snowmobile? I always loved being pulled on an enter tube behind a snowmobile. Have you been to Soldier Hallow in Heber? I guess that is a very fun place to go sledding. However it would be way more fun in Blanding where there will not be a million people around waiting to take turns!
I love you and would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Tell your family hi for me!